It’s rare that a friend (thanks, Kerry) sends out a recipe that I follow exactly. The minute I laid eyes on this recipe, I made it within 24 hours. It is a great soup to warm your bones. The spice is perfect, the consistency is perfectly creamy, and the end result is memorable. Using mild green enchilada sauce is genius, as it is not spicy. Enjoy this mix of chicken, rice, cheeses, corn, and spices. I believe that all the food groups are represented. Wink!
- 4 chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 2 – 15 oz. cans mild green enchilada sauce
- 2 – 4 oz. cans diced green chilis
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 TB cumin
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2/3 cup corn (if frozen, thaw out)
- 2/3 cup instant rice (or quinoa)
- 1 – 8 oz. bar cream cheese (cubed)
- salt and pepper
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Note: I use a crockpot liner. If you haven’t tried the, you must! Easy clean-up.
- Place chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chils, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and shredded chicken in crock pot on HIGH. Cook for 3.5 hours.
- After cooking for 3.5 hours add corn, rice and cubed cream cheese. Stir and cook for half hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterrey Jack Cheese. Serves 4-6.